Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord

William James Jones has been called to serve a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ ofLatter-day Saints in the New York Rochester Mission from November 2012 to November 2014.





Saturday, October 25, 2014


One year .......... deep pondering


13 November 2013

I've done a lot of deep pondering especially as I hit my year mark in how I've changed and in what ways I need to keep improving.  There are many things that I've learned.   One of which would be understanding the Holy Ghost and listening to the promptings.  As a missionary, things are always hectic.  You've always got things to do and places to go and people to see. And sometimes if we're not careful we can completely overlook a prompting by the spirit.  I've learned that for me anyway the spirit generally works by feeding me ideas or thoughts some of which can seem random or illogical. But I've learned that if I go with it then some really cool things can happen.  I have several stories that I'll always will keep with me the rest of my life.  I've learned the importance of working hard all the time and of being obedient to the mission rules so that you can be worthy of having the spirit with you.  I've also learned how valuable patience is when dealing with members, less actives, investigators, companions etc.   Getting angry never is a good thing.  I've learned the importance of not judging other people especially on the outward appearance.   I've learned the importance of reading the scriptures and have really grown in a knowledge and appreciation of them and how essential they are. I've learned the importance of being confident and bold with our message and how to do so.  I've learned why these doctrines that we teach actually matter and how they really affect me as much as anyone else I work with and actually feel them -  not just have a knowledge of them.  I know how essential members are for missionary work especially when it comes to home/visiting teaching with members.   I know the importance of trusting the Lord and of leaving things that I can't control into his hands after I've done the best I can.  I know that the Lord loves me and cares about me far more than I realize.  I know that he works with all of us everyday and that things don't just happen by chance.  I know that Joseph Smith is the Lord's prophet called here in our day and age for us now and that we can receive modern revelation through our prophets.  I've gained a lot more appreciation of the Book of Mormon and the Bible and have a lot of insights written in my scriptures too.  My scriptures have been through a lot and look like they're 10 years old rather than 1 year old! But yea the list goes on.  I know the importance of the plan of salvation that the hope that we can be with our families forever is so important and people need to know that.  I know that miracles happen to us everyday if we but open our eyes to them and recognize them and are grateful for them.  I could keep going on and on.  My mission has changed me forever and I can't wait to see what challenges and surprises that God has in store for me this last half of my mission!  

No comments:

Post a Comment